History

Charle Street, as it is popularly known today, was founded in 1952. The original house was located on the corner of Harbor Boulevard and 19th Street, where Triangle Square now stands.


A small, old house was rented from a physician for $50 a month. It had one large room and one small bathroom. After several weeks of renovations, it opened in March of 1952 as a recovery home for alcoholics. In 1955, the facility was relocated to Newport Boulevard and Bay Street. After 3 years, the location moved again to Harbor Boulevard and Hamilton Street, where it operated for the next 6 years. In 1956 we officially became The First Step House of Orange County, Inc., a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation.


With funds generously donated by private citizens, the house moved to its present location in 1961. In 1993, the original house was torn down to be rebuilt in to the fine facility that it is today. This arduous and expensive task was accomplished by the Board of Directors utilizing money raised by fund-raisers, as well as the selfless contributions from private donors.‚Äč


Today, Charle Street provides a new beginning for the lives of up to 21 recovering alcoholics during their 10 day stay in the house.

Help fund the miracles that happen at Charle Street

Donations